Today’s passage: 2 Thessalonians 2:13-17
- Christians, you are saved because God the Holy Spirit set you apart (Sanctification) and because you believed.
- What did we believe? The Gospel.
- This mention of “firstfruits” in verse 13 is similar to Ephesians 1:4, “Before the foundation of the earth.”
- Our ability and confidence to stand firm and our ability to be comforted does not come from within…it comes from without. And specifically, from God.
Questions to consider:
- From where and in what is our identity rooted? Who are you? What is the most important thing about you? Who made you to be who you are?
- Why are the answers to those previous questions so much more empowering than any self-help mantra?
- How do good works and good words further establish our hearts? What are we made more confident of when we see our actions changing (Progressive sanctification) and we continually hear the truth?