Today’s passage: 2 Samuel 20
- Sheba was a part of Saul’s tribe and took advantage of the division at the end of the last chapter.
- David did not lay with his former concubines after they had been with Absalom during his rebellion.
- After Amasa failed to bring the army together, David turned to Abishai instead of Joab. But, by the end of this event, Joab was reinstalled over the army
- The wise woman had the right to appeal for peace in Israel (Deuteronomy 20:10).
Questions to consider:
- What kind of leadership/power did Joab possess if he was able to disobey David’s orders for command and still have troops readily loyal to him?
- On what basis did the woman make her appeal? What did she want to prevent Joab from doing to a city of Israel?
- Who was right in this chapter? Is there a true hero? Is Joab being loyal to David or to Israel or both or neither? How does this narrative further point us to our need for a true sinless hero in King Jesus?