Today’s passage: Esther 9:20-10:3
- At Mordecai’s (And later Esther’s) request, the celebration of the events of the book of Esther became the holiday (Or feast) known as Purim. It is still observed today.
- The name “Purim” comes from 3:7 where Haman was casting Purim (or lots) to determine when to attack the Jews. This is explained in verse 24.
- At the end of the exile, the Jews not only have been able to return to their land and rebuild the walls of Jerusalem and the temple…but their own people were serving as the queen and the second in commands of the empire.
Questions to consider:
- How would the lives of the Jews changed with this change of leadership in the empire? For what reasons would they have been thankful?
- Who deserved the praise and thanksgiving? What did God accomplish in this book? Who did He use to do it (Not just Jewish people, but others as well)?
- What are some big things we can learn about God from this book? How can we apply this to our lives today?