Today’s passage: Proverbs 31
- It is believed that King Lemuel is another name for Solomon. If that is true, he learned this wisdom from his mother, Bathsheba.
- Verses 2-9 are a set of proverbs for the wise king. Verses 10-31 depict an excellent wife.
- The Wise King:
- Rulers and leaders are to pursue purity and holiness.
- Rulers and leaders are to maintain a sound mind.
- Rulers and leaders are to have compassion on those who cannot help themselves.
- The Excellent wife: (It’s helpful to remember this is a description of an ideal “excellent” wife -No one is perfect- and that it was crafted by a wife and mother.)
- She is trustworthy.
- She is hardworking and productive.
- She is generous.
- She prioritizes her family (Including giving attention to her own well-being).
- She benefits the reputation of her husband.
- She speaks with wisdom and kindness.
- She will be held in high regard by those who know her best (Her family).
- She does all this because she first fears the Lord.
Questions to consider:
- If it is wise for kings to help those who cannot help themselves, what kinds of programs or laws should the government endorse? In what ways could government assistance be manipulated in ways the book of Proverbs would call “foolish?” Who are the helpless whom the government should seek to protect?
- Knowing that men are to be leaders in the home, what kind of a man must a husband be in light of this description of the excellent wife (See Ephesians 5:25-33)? Husbands, how can you grow? Wives, how can you grow? Those who desire to be married in the future, how can you be growing to be the kind of person someone like this would desire to marry?
- What part of this chapter stuck out the most to you? How can you put it into practice today?
Father, thank you for King Jesus, the perfect King! We thank you for his righteousness, for his sound mind, and for his willingness to help us when we were hopeless to help ourselves. We pray for our leaders, for their salvation, for their responsibilities, for our communities, and for our nation. We also pray today for the marriages in our church. I pray Lord for our men, that they would love their wives like Christ loves the church. I pray that our wives would love their husbands and their homes as they pursue this excellence in the fear of the Lord. I pray that each would pursue you together in humility and reverence, that you would be honored, and our homes and the church would be blessed through their love.