Today’s passage: Philemon 23-25
- Epaphras is mentioned in Colossians 4:12-13.
- The listing of Mark’s name especially could have also served to remind Philemon and the church at Colossae of broken relationships being restored. (Colossians 4:10, Acts 15:38-40, 2 Timothy 4:11)
- A church is people, covenanted together to follow Jesus. It isn’t a place you go. It isn’t just a preaching post or a place to get a music gig or express your talents. It is a group of people who seek to love each other, serve one another, serve others, and follow Jesus together.
Questions to consider:
- What did Paul call all of these men on his list? Besides sending their greetings, what did he call them? What are some of the “works”/”labors” you are doing to serve the Lord and your brothers and sisters in Christ?
- Why did the church want to know how Epaphras was doing and vice-versa? What are some ways we can be an encouragement to our missionaries who have gone elsewhere to serve the Lord? Might there be people from our church whom God would call to go in the future?
- What would be the fruits of Paul’s prayer in verse 25?