Today's passage: Exodus 25
- The Lord gives instruction to collect contributions from the nation to raise up the tabernacle.
- The people were to give as “every man whose heart moves him.”
- Specifications were also given for the Ark of the Covenant, the Table for the Bread of the Presence, and the Golden Lampstand.
- The Ark of the Covenant served as a “throne” of God, or the Mercy Seat.
- The Table for the Bread of the Presence was always to have 12 loaves of bread on it to represent the 12 tribes of Israel.
- The Golden Lampstand was to be kept lit at all times. It was a picture of the Tree of Life.
- The Ark of the Covenant was the only “furniture” placed in the Most Holy Place (Or the Holy of Holies) in the Tabernacle. The Table for the Bread of the Presence and the Golden Lampstand were in the room just outside the Most Holy Place, the room referred to as the Holy Place.
Questions to consider:
- What appears to be portrayed in these elements of the Tabernacle? What was God reminding His people of through these symbols?
- As we begin to read about the Tabernacle, keep in mind Hebrews 8:1-7. Toward what was the Tabernacle designed to point Israel and us? What is the Heavenly reality?