Today’s passage: Genesis 13:1-18
- Abraham’s and Lot’s wealth and the herdsmen’s struggle made it so that there wasn’t enough room for the two of them.
- They were also competing for land with the Canaanites and Perizzites (Verse 7).
- Abraham generously allowed Lot to make the first choice of land. However, the Lord promised Abraham all the land would belong to his descendants. Lot’s choice was a temporary arrangement, unbeknown to him.
- Abraham and Sarai are still without a child, yet God promised his descendants would be beyond number.
Questions to consider:
- Contrast what happened when Abraham and Lot arrived at their destinations? What did Abraham do which fostered his relationship with the Lord? What did Lot come into contact with when he arrived at Sodom?
- Who did the men at Sodom sin against (Verse 13)? Do people have to believe in God to sin against Him? To whom will all people answer, whether they believe or not (Psalm 86:8-10)?
- With the answers to question 2 in mind, what should the church strive to tell the nations (Psalm 67, Matthew 18:19-20)?