Today’s passage: Genesis 14:1-24
- Abraham was able to pursue and achieve military victory. But he did not try to take the Promised Land by force.
- Melchizedek’s name means, “King of Righteousness.” He was the king of Salem (“Peace”). He was also priest of the “Most High God.”
- Abraham’s responses to the king of Salem and the king of Sodom are very different.
Questions to consider:
- Where was Lot now living? What became of his choices to gravitate toward the city of Sodom to this point?
- What does Abraham’s treatment or responses to Melchizedek and the king of Sodom indicate about Abraham’s trust? Who was Abraham counting on for his protection, whatever prosperity he had, and the fulfilment of the promise?
- How can Jesus be priest forever after the order of Melchizedek? Why won’t his priesthood (or his reign) ever expire (Hebrews 7:16)?