Today’s passage: Hebrews 1:1-3
- This New Testament epistle is a letter written to the Hebrew people who needed to be encouraged in their assurance that Jesus, and the New Covenant He brought, is better than what they had before.
- It will be important as we move forward and read some passages of warning to remember who the original target audience was for this letter. These were people who had believed in God, were looking forward to the coming Messiah, and now must believe that Jesus Christ is that promised Messiah! They could not remain followers of God without becoming followers of Jesus.
- These first three verses speak of two forms of Special Revelation:
Questions to consider:
- Right out of the gate, what do these verses tell us that Jesus has done (There’s a list)? What is the author trying to say right at the beginning of this argument for who Jesus is?
- How does this passage communicate the importance of God speaking to His people? How important is God’s communication to us and why? Why should the preciousness of God’s revelation of Himself to us drive us continually back into His word?
- Where is Christ right at this moment? What does Romans 8:34 tell us He is doing there? This letter will explain how Jesus is our better priest, how do these verses already begin to make that argument?