Today’s passage: Hosea 2:1-13
- Israel’s worship of other gods is compared to the acts of adultery and prostitution.
- Israel used the resources God had provided to ask false gods to give them more resources…
- The motivation for Israel’s adultery was their own gain. Israel wanted to be “paid” for their adultery. They committed “acts of worship” to these false gods in order to get produce, a good harvest, etc.
Questions to consider:
- If an Israelite thought they were God’s people solely because they were Israelites, how would this passage correct them? What has God called the children of this “mother” to do?
- What would it look like for the land (The fertility that would have been sought in idolatry) to be “stripped naked”? What was God using as a consequence for Israel? And, what would happen when Israel was conquered? Who would then enjoy the land’s produce?
- What would repentance have looked like for Israel? What was wrong in their thinking and desires that resulted in these actions?