Today’s passage: Hosea 4
- There was much sin with which the Israelites were rightly accused. The Lord pointed out the origin of it all:
- Verse 1 – There is no faithfulness or steadfast love, and no knowledge of God in the land.
- Verse 6 – My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge; because you have rejected knowledge, I reject you from being a priest to me. And since you have forgotten the law of your God, I will also forget your children.
- Verse 14 – A people without understanding will come to ruin.
- Romans 12:1-2 – I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
- Ephesians 4:17-24 – Now this I say and testify in the Lord, that you must no longer walk as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their minds. They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, due to their hardness of heart. They have become callous and have given themselves up to sensuality, greedy to practice every kind of impurity. But that is not the way you learned Christ!— assuming that you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus, to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.
Questions to consider:
- What role does biblical instruction and knowledge play in your spiritual growth?
- What are some reasons why people do not get biblical instruction and knowledge (Both from within their own desires and also from others)? Why do some people never pursue knowledge and instruction? Why do some people have a hard time finding it even if they want it?
- What are the consequences of ignorance? How would the consequences vary for the person who does not believe and for the person who is a Christian but has not been discipled/taught biblically?