Today’s passage: Isaiah 34
- According to the formula of previous prophecies in Isaiah, chapters 34 and 35 could be considered one unit.
- Chapter 34 describes the judgment.
- Chapter 35 describes the future restoration.
- If a person were to think God was a passive grandpa/Santa Claus figure, this passage (And others like it) should correct that. Man is in bitter hostility with God (Whether man admits it or not) and justice will be served.
- Edom (Verses 5-6 – Bozrah was a city in Edom) serves as an example, a people that God has devoted to destruction.
Questions to consider:
- Why do we tend to avoid discussion of judgment and God’s wrath? What do we lose (To our detriment) by attempting to ignore or soften the justice of God?
- How does a passage like this magnify Christ’s sacrifice on the cross? Are you a Christian because you are a good person or because you were spared? (1 Peter 3:18)