Today’s passage: Isaiah 57
- God rebukes Israel for their sinful sexual appetite and the slaughter of their children (Verse 5).
- Israel did those things in the name of idolatry.
- Modern western civilization does it in the name of humanism (Today’s form of idolatry).
- Looking at the numbers I found, if people identifying as “Evangelical Protestants” would stop getting abortions, about 3,500 lives would be saved every year in our state alone.
- We sin when we fear/reverence someone or something else over God.
- It is right for all of God’s people to have a contrite and lowly spirit. We are saved by grace. Revival comes from Him. Israel will be blessed because God has willed it, not because they want it or because they want Him…they don’t.
Questions to consider:
- What is life after physical death compared to in verses 1-2?
- How will the world, and even some who identify as part of the church continue to respond to God and His truth (Verse 4)? How can this give us temptation to fear? Who must we fear and why?
- How does the truth of the Gospel produce a proper humility in us? How does that humility and our healthy fear of God change the way we interact with the calamity of this world?