Today’s passage: Isaiah 58
- Verse 2 is written to show the perspective of Israel. As far as they could tell, they were doing everything right and pursuing God, when they weren’t. Then they blamed God for not acting in accordance with their desires.
- God desires repentance and righteous obedience, not empty man-centered and designed religious exercise.
- Truly delighting in the Lord is a fruit of honoring His commands and His day, which produces more obedience and more joy.
Questions to consider:
- Is it possible to go to church, to speak in a very Christian-like way, to be very spiritual and to NOT be truly following Christ or under His lordship? How does this happen? How would a person have to view religion in order for this to be a possibility?
- When can we know that repentance has genuinely occurred? Is it evidenced through religious observances, words or through a change in our actions? How does God describe repentance and godliness in this chapter?
- What are your favorite things to do on the Lord’s Day? How will our pleasures and delights change (Our objects of affection) the more we honor the Lord on His day?