Today’s passage: James 3:13-18
- After a passage that emphasized our speech, we find that wisdom is evidenced through all kinds of actions/conduct.
- Remember the theme of this letter: Faith without works is dead. If we have faith, we will be changing and growing in these ways. If we do not have faith, we won’t.
- Wisdom is contrasted with bitter jealousy and selfish ambition:
- Bitter jealousy and selfish ambition are not good gifts that came down from the Father of lights. They are the fruit of a heart that is earthly, unspiritual and shares similar characteristics to the one who said, “I will be like the most high God.”
- God’s gift of wisdom produces peace, gentleness, a willingness to talk things out, etc.
Questions to consider:
- What were the consequences of bitter jealousy and selfish ambition (Verse 16)?
- What were the consequences of wisdom and pursuing peace (Verse 18)?
- Why is it so important to remember that wisdom is not just what we say but also what we do?