Today’s passage: James 5:7-12
- We yearn for the elimination of all suffering. While we wait, our God-given instruction is to be patient.
- God had a purpose for the suffering of the prophets, for Job, and for you. You will never suffer in vain.
- The Jews used to make oaths, or swear on anything they could think of besides God Himself. When they did this, it was like crossing your fingers behind your back when making a promise…it was intended to be an excuse to not keep your promise! They actually excused themselves from sin and deceit through this tactic.
Questions to consider:
- Can you have an established heart in the midst of suffering? Who or what must your hope be placed in to make that happen so you can weather the storm?
- What should our church be “found” busy doing when Jesus returns? Are you doing that?
- How do God’s sovereign purposes, compassion and mercy give you hope and strength?