Today’s passage: Jeremiah 2:1-3:5
- Today, Jeremiah gets his first assignment.
- God is going to set up court. Israel and Judah are guilty.
- Christians, God is your glory! (Verse 11) He is the most important and the best thing about you.
- We are prone to go to other things to find our joy and satisfaction, but they never work (Verse 13). The Samaritan woman in John 4 kept searching for what she wanted in men, but Jesus offered her living water. The men were just broken cisterns. Jesus is a well that springs up for eternity.
- Verses 35-36 depict a people who are deep in sin and yet see themselves as innocent. The only way this can happen is if the people are ignorant of the law or if they have decided what parts matter and what parts don’t.
- A people who decide to follow their own hearts and decide for themselves what is right and wrong will always be a people who find themselves innocent of any wrong-doing.
Questions to consider:
- Why do you think the other world religions are tolerated (Even commended) when Christianity is rejected? Why are other view points “tolerated” but Christianity unacceptable? (Verse 11)
- What would you say are the most common “broken cisterns” of our culture? Do you have any broken cisterns in your life? What would it look like for you to reject those false hopes and turn to the Lord?
- If I think my own opinion and my own feelings of right and wrong are what I should live by, what will my attitude be toward God if He should judge me as a sinner? What would a sinner need to realize before they would even ask to be saved?