Today’s passage: Jeremiah 47:1-7
- God’s promise of judgment now turns toward the Philistines.
- The phrase, “Sword of the Lord” is used here as a figure of speech for judgment. (Judges 7:20)
- The Philistines were attacked and defeated by the Egyptians around 587 B.C. Yet, this judgment was of the Lord.
Questions to consider:
- Do you think these nations would have expected to be judged by, or even used in judgment by the Lord who was the God of Israel? Why or why not?
- How far does God’s sovereignty, omniscience and justice extend? Only to Israel? Only to the church?
- How far does the love of God extend? What is our role on this earth as the body of Christ (As ambassadors)? (Matthew 5:13-16, Matthew 28:18-20, Acts 1:8)