Today's passage: John 15:1-11
- Israel was compared to a vine in the Old Testament (Isaiah 5:1-7). Christ is the true vine that will not fail to bear fruit.
- To abide in Christ is to continue in relationship with Him. This would include prayer, meditating on the Scriptures, and fellowship with God's people and it produces obedience and joy.
- When Adam and Eve sinned, they saw that they were naked and they hid. When God's children obey, they have joy and walk in the light (1 John 1:7)
Questions to consider:
- Compare John 14:15 with 15:2. What is true of those who say they love Jesus but do not obey (Bear fruit)? What is true of those who show they love Jesus by bearing fruit?
- While pruning does not necessarily sound like an enjoyable experience, what emotion will it eventually produce (Verse 11)?
- If we are abiding in Christ and His words are abiding in us, what kinds of things are we going to wish to ask for? How does verse 8 help us to answer that question?