Today's passage: John 15:12-17
- Jesus calls on His followers to love as He has loved. He loved by laying down His life for our salvation!
- The identity of a disciple:
- Chosen by God
- Appointed by God to bear fruit
- One who has access to God (Prayer, Asking the Father)
- Friend of God
- Loved by God
- Obedient to God
- Expected obedience to God does not detract from these other characteristics, it is produced by them and from them. They go hand in hand.
Questions to consider:
- If our model is Jesus, what kind of love are we to have for one another? How does this command change the way we see others? How can you love others sacrificially today?
- How does your identity in Christ give you confidence? Purpose? Community? Rest?
- How does your identity in Christ and the purpose it gives your life shape your prayer?