Today’s passage: Joshua 17:1-18
- The Tribe of Manasseh had land on both sides of the Jordan River.
- The request of the daughters of Zelophehad refers back to the promise from Numbers 27.
- The people of Ephraim and Manasseh were willing to ask for more land inheritances, but they did not trust the Lord for victory over the Canaanites.
- They wanted more land for themselves…because they said God had blessed them with so many people.
- Their acknowledgement of the blessing of God evidently did not transfer into finishing what He had commanded them to do.
Questions to consider:
- Since God has been the one settling the land inheritances for the tribes, who were the sons of Joseph complaining about? Just Joshua?
- How might the fact that Joshua was an Ephraimite have impacted their lack of satisfaction?
- If the people were able to say, “All along the Lord has blessed me.” and then not see that the Lord was able to use them, what was it that they really wanted? Why does God bless us? What are we to do with our new life in Christ?