Today’s passage: Joshua 24:14-28
- God made Israel. God freed Israel. God put Israel on the map. God gave Israel their land (Recap of verses 1-13).
- Therefore, they were to fear Him and serve Him with sincerity and faithfulness.
- Joshua called the nation to commit to serving God and God alone…and told them they couldn’t (Verse 19).
- This was Joshua’s final act as leader of Israel before his death.
Questions to consider:
- What does Joshua’s command to “put away the foreign gods” tell us that Israel had already started doing? Why was Joshua right to tell Israel to worship God alone while telling them that they were not capable?
- What are the differences between the gods of all these surrounding nations (Including Egypt) and the God of Israel? What wrong thinking and wrong desires would have brought Israel to start worshiping fake gods that could never do anything? And, if they believed in and worshiped these other fake gods, what was wrong with their view of the true God as well?
- Who have you chosen to serve? What has God provided for your failures? Who has won your victory?