Today’s passage: Judges 20:1-18
- All the leaders of the tribes of Israel, 400,000 soldiers and whoever else would have come along gathered together in the wake of these dismembered body parts being sent all over Israel. They met in Mizpah, not more than a couple miles away from Gibeah. One tribe was missing however, Benjamin.
- The original intent of Israel was to focus its attention on Gibeah alone. But the tribe of Benjamin came to their defense!
- For the first time in a long time, Israel has come together for a single purpose, to battle against and punish its own people. Instead of defeating and removing the wickedness of the Canaanites, they are fighting their own.
Questions to consider:
- What actions in this passage seem encouraging?
- What components make this passage sad?
- Why was the tribe of Benjamin in trouble? What were they doing wrong? Where did it all start and what had they forgotten?