Today’s passage: Judges 6:11-35
- Gideon had enough bravery to rebuke and question the Lord’s command and faithfulness. But he didn’t have enough valor to go against the Midianites.
- After destroying the altar to the false god, Gideon’s new name encouraged Baal to come punish him.
- God was preserving Israel while Israel was cursing their own people for opposing false gods.
- It took the movement of God (The Spirit of the Lord “clothed” him) to get Gideon to call the troops.
Questions to consider:
- How did Gideon first respond to the Angel of the Lord? What did he expect should be happening if God was involved?
- What kind of fear did Gideon display? What kinds of things frightened him?
- What things would be running through your mind if God decided to use you to free the nation from an incoming enemy army? How might you have been tempted to fear?