Today’s passage: Luke 12:22-34
- Jesus spoke this to his disciples in contrast to the foolish man who desired and kept everything for himself.
- Anxiety, as defined in this passage, is not something that happens to us. It’s something we bring on ourselves, and Jesus has commanded us not to do it.
- The causes of anxiety are a combination of:
- Misplaced valuations – What is most important? (Or, Who is most important?)
- Misplaced trust – Who is responsible and able to provide?
- If you think about it, anxiety is a worship issue.
Questions to consider:
- How do our values and trust get misplaced and confused? How much does the world value the things Jesus used to illustrate this still today (Our bodies, clothing, food, health, etc.)?
- What things give you the greatest anxieties? Could you be seeing those things like the man who wanted to keep his things safe in his own storehouses (“Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”)?
- What has Jesus asked you to do in this passage? What does seeking first the kingdom of God look like? How long will the rewards last?