Today’s passage: Luke 3:1-9
- John the Baptist was making straight what man had made crooked:
- The Jews were not “good to go” with God simply because of their genetics.
- Followers of God follow God. Repentance was necessary.
- God is just. The children of Abraham by blood who are not the children of Abraham by faith will not escape judgment.
Questions to consider:
- Why is repentance a necessary component of conversion? What happens when a person is saved? (2 Corinthians 5:17, Ephesians 2:8-10)
- In what way did John the Baptist “prepare the way of the Lord”? What did John make straight? What was becoming apparent through his teaching?
- How might we fall into this same trap/false doctrine today? How does anyone become a child of God?