Today’s passage: Luke 2:39-52
- Jesus, fully human, fulfilled all righteousness, even in the growing up years. He was without sin. He always did what was right in his childhood, teen years, as as an adult; He was perfect.
- This episode would have served as a reminder to Mary and Joseph (And to the reader), Jesus was not going to follow the path that other boys followed. And, Joseph was not His father. Jesus had come to do the will of His Father.
- Jesus’ claim to be the Son of God as a 12 year old boy didn’t get Him into much trouble with those who heard. The same would not be true when we was an adult (Matthew 26:63-66).
Questions to consider:
- How do you think Mary and Joseph felt when they realized Jesus wasn’t in their traveling party? How would you have responded if you thought you had lost the Messiah?
- How would things have been different in our youth if we had not sinned? How would things be different today if we had never sinned in our youth? How many reasons are there to fight for purity and righteousness?
- What is the most significant reason to fight for purity? Whose business are we to be about now as the children of God? What has Christ done for us, on our behalf, concerning our sin?