Today’s passage: Luke 2:22-38
- Simeon and Anna are used by God to reaffirm and expound on truths concerning this baby boy.
- When faced with the truth of why the Messiah came and what He had come to do, many hearts would be exposed/revealed.
- Not only would Mary have to watch Jesus suffer and die on the cross, but she would also know, “It was my sin that held him there.” It would certainly feel as though a sword had pierced through her very soul.
Questions to consider:
- How many assurances have Joseph and Mary seen and heard? What must this have done to encourage their hearts, while also giving them plenty to think about?
- Why did many in Israel want the Messiah to come? What was their opinion of the Gentiles? What kind of “redemption” did they hope the Messiah was going to bring against the Gentiles? (Think: The period of the judges, their desire in 1 Samuel for a king “to fight our battles”…)
- How are hearts revealed still today at the hearing of the good news/the gospel? What must I believe about God and about myself before I can trust in Christ’s sacrifice on my behalf?