Today’s passage: Luke 4:31-41
- Jesus exercises His own authority.
- In His words/teaching
- Over demons
- Over sickness
- When Jesus healed people, they were healed immediately. These people were not pre-selected. They were not turned away. This is not what the prosperity gospel faith-healer false teachers are doing today.
- Jesus did not allow the demons to bring Him any kind of popularity.
Questions to consider:
- Why did this start in the synagogue? What was Jesus’ primary objective, to heal, to exorcise demons or to teach? (Verse 43)
- What was the demon afraid of? What might he have thought Jesus had come to do at that time? (Revelation 20:7-10)
- How would the demons’ proclamations of Jesus’ identity have caused confusion? Why would it make sense for Jesus to command their silence?