Today’s passage: Luke 8:26-39
- The people of this region were Gentiles.
- A Roman legion could consist of up to 6,000 men.
- These demons did not want to be sent to eternal hell before the end (Matthew 25:41, Revelation 20:10). They know their future judgment is coming. They know who is in charge.
- The demons were only allowed to move to the pigs because Jesus gave them permission. God is not struggling to keep Satan and the Demons at bay.
- John 10:10 – “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.”
Questions to consider:
- What kinds of emotions might have been swirling in your mind had you been there that day? What emotion does verse 37 say these people felt? What did this emotion push them to ask Jesus?
- How do verses like 2 Corinthians 4:4 and John 3:19 help us to answer the question, “Why would these people not see this amazing miracles and then believe?” Why did they ask Jesus to leave? How many people in this region were in need of a miracle (Conversion!)?
- How much could Jesus have told this newly healed man? How much training did he get before Jesus sent him off as a missionary to his region? What do you need to know before you are “qualified” to share the Gospel message with others?