Today’s passage: Matthew 13:53-58
- There is good evidence in this passage that Jesus was fully man. He is fully man and fully God. Some people believe that He was not fully man. These people in this passage sure did!
- Jesus had half-brothers and half-sisters because Joseph and Mary had children together after Jesus was born. Mary was not a life-long virgin.
- Notice, they never deny Jesus’ “mighty works”. They can’t deny that He did them. But, they did reject Him.
- Jesus’ response to the people of Nazareth’s unbelief was not to work among them. He would go elsewhere.
Questions to consider:
- The pattern on display here was an unwillingness to believe, followed by attempted reasoning, followed by offense and rejection. What are some examples you could think of where people today do not want to believe and follow this pattern?
- What is the cause of a prophet going “without honor” in his hometown? Who is responsible for the lack of honor?
- Do you struggle with the idea of Jesus withholding the display of His glory where people do not believe? Why or why not?
- How does this passage encourage you in your obedience to share the Gospel with others?