Today’s passage: Matthew 20:17-28
- Jesus again reiterates to His disciples what is to happen, His mission.
- It’s not clear that the brothers put their mother up to this request. But they certainly were in support of the idea.
- In asking if the men were able to “drink the cup”, Jesus is pointing them back to service (His death), as opposed to the “power” of authority. When James and John said they could drink the cup, they were saying they were up to the challenge of ruling the kingdom with Jesus.
Questions to consider:
- Inspect your perspective. Are you serving to serve? Are you “serving” to control?
- Does a leader become great by being appointed to a position of leadership or by serving well after they are appointed?
- The mother of James and John (and the sons) seemed to miss Jesus’ emphasis on His death, burial and resurrection. Why is it so dangerous for us to take our attention away from the cross? Why is it so important to keep the Gospel in the forefront of our thinking?