Today’s passage: Matthew 27:27-44
- Jesus was mocked by an unjust set of trials. Now He is mocked by the Roman soldiers, passers by, the chief priests, scribes and elders, even as He hangs on the cross.
- In their efforts to mock Jesus, they fulfilled scripture. (Psalm 22)
- For information regarding the details of the crucifixion process (and other events leading up to the crucifixion), check out this article.
- Gall was given to numb the pain and settle the person down for the crucifixion process. Jesus refused it.
Questions to consider:
- Do you think these mockers would have believed if Jesus had taken Himself off of the cross? Even if they believed, what would have been their fate if Jesus refused to die?
- Since we know that one of the robbers being crucified next to Jesus was promised to be with Jesus in paradise, what had to have happened between the beginning of the crucifixion and prior to their death?
- Why do we sometimes take the love of God for granted? What does preaching the Gospel to ourselves (including the cost!) do to help us keep our eyes and hearts fixed on Him?