Today’s passage: Matthew 27:45-56
- There is no mention of Jesus crying out or wailing in pain until this passage. The greatest pain Jesus suffered that day was God’s wrath against our sin.
- In the midst of all the mockery, the people watching acknowledged that Jesus had done miracles and believed there was a chance Elijah could come and get Him.
- The veil in front of the Holy of Holies in the Temple was at least 60 feet tall and 30 feet wide. It is said to have been 4 inches thick. It took many men to get it hung in its place. For it to rip from top to bottom was a miracle. Mankind no longer is separated from God.
- 1 Corinthians 15:20 says Christ was the first fruits of the resurrection. And after His resurrection, others were raised as well and made appearances in Jerusalem. It wasn’t just Jesus who was raised from the dead that week.
Questions to consider:
- After seeing all that had transpired, what did the Roman Centurion and his soldiers come to believe?
- Why do we no longer need the Holy of Holies and the Temple? What did Christ accomplish once and for all?
- Have you put your faith in the finished work of Jesus Christ? Have you believed in His name? Is the Son of God your Lord and Savior?