Today’s passage: Matthew 6:19-24
- The key words in the first verse are “for yourselves”.
- Wealth often was measured in those days by the amount of clothes you owned…hence the moths.
- Our deepest desires push us towards our most cherished possessions. Our heart is with our treasures.
- Our eyes will also gaze upon our treasure. The eyes of our heart will be healthy and full of light when they are fixed on the greatest treasure!
Questions to consider:
- How does the qualifier, “for yourselves” help us to think about savings, retirement plans, etc.? Why is it right to plan for your future?
- How does our view of giving change as we grow as Christians? What changes need to take place in our motivations/expectations?
- How might your spending show you what your treasures are? How might your time spent and your energies show you the same thing?
- How could growing in the spiritual disciplines help you to re-calibrate your “wanter” (The desires of your heart)?