Today’s passage: Matthew 6:25-34
- This passage begins with a “Therefore”. In the previous passage, Jesus told us to treasure and serve God alone.
- If you are a follower of Jesus Christ, God is your Father. He has committed to provide for you as your Father.
- The phrase, “do not be anxious” is a command.
- Dr. Charles Mayo wrote, “Worry affects the circulation, the heart, the glands and the whole nervous system. I have never met a man or known a man to die of overwork, but I have known a lot who died of worry.”
Questions to consider:
- Do you really believe that flowers in the field are more spectacular than Solomon at the pinnacle of his power?
- If “do not be anxious” is a command, then what are we doing when we are anxious?
- What would the root cause of anxiety be? (Think back to yesterday’s passage…it’s about treasure)
- What does “all these things” mean in verse 33? What is Jesus promising to us here? What do we need to ask ourselves when we feel like what Jesus promises isn’t enough?