Today’s passage: Matthew 7:15-23
- Wolves are the natural enemy of sheep and the word “ravenous” could also be translated, “swindler”- a false prophet seeks to find and ravage an unsuspecting sheep.
- The false prophet dresses in “sheep’s clothing”. They will call themselves Christians, build “churches”, put crosses on the walls and speak the name of Jesus, etc.
- Fruit trees are beautiful and provide shade…but if they don’t produce good fruit they are worthless and cut down.
Questions to consider:
- Is there such a thing as a harmless false teacher? What does verse 15 declare them to be?
- What are some examples that you have seen recently in your life and in the lives of others in our church of good, healthy fruit? Praise the Lord for it and encourage one another!
- Is it possible to identify false teachers? How?
- What will “many” false teachers believe about themselves based on verse 22? How important is it for us to know, believe and obey the Scriptures?