Today’s passage: Matthew 7:24-29
- There is a difference between hearing and doing.
- Both the one who builds on the rock and the one who builds on the sand heard the words of Jesus.
- Both of them should also expect to experience rains, floods and wind.
- Hearing and rejecting results in foolishness and destruction (Remember the wide and narrow gates…)
- Hearing and obeying results in life. A Christian is a person who hears the truth of the Gospel, believes and then follows Jesus.
Questions to consider:
- Does following Jesus mean that life will be easy? How is the truth BETTER than an “easy” life? What is an “easy” life?
- Remember one of the themes of Matthew’s Gospel is that Jesus is King. Why did Jesus have authority to speak the way He did? How is He different than the scribes (and every other teacher)?
- What was the crowd’s general reaction? What is even better than being astonished after hearing the teaching of Jesus?