Today’s passage: Matthew 8:18-27
- The crowds that were around Jesus seemed to be interested in His authoritative tone and His ability to heal. With that knowledge, Jesus was ready to get away from them.
- As the people saw their preparations to leave, some requested to come with Him.
- Jesus did not tailor the “pitch” to follow Him in a way that would draw many people.
- Some people suggest that the disciple who requested to bury his father was waiting and hoping for his inheritance, which he would receive once his father passed away.
- In yesterday’s passage, Jesus showed his power over creation in physical diseases/sickness. Now, in calming the storm, Jesus shows His power over creation in nature.
Questions to consider:
- Why are temporal physical things/possessions/trends bad ways to try to point people to Jesus? What will they think they are getting themselves into? What is a true disciple getting themselves into when they follow Jesus?
- Is it worth “missing out” on earthly possessions and relationships to follow Jesus?
- Why wasn’t Jesus worried on the boat during the storm? What had He come to do?
- Why was it right for the men on the boat to marvel? What sort of man is Jesus?