Today’s passage: Matthew 9:14-17
- These are disciples of John the Baptist.
- Remember the Hosea reference from yesterday? Israel (God’s people) was the bride, and God is the groom. Jesus is telling these disciples of John who He is!
- Before Christ came, people were fasting while looking forward to the coming of the King. So, it was no longer time to fast for that reason.
- Jesus is also making another statement in mentioning new cloth and new wine skins. A new time has come. There will be new reason to fast.
Questions to consider:
- What seems to be the reason for fasting? Is it just supposed to be a ritualistic practice?
- Why is it appropriate for us to fast now? To what should we be looking forward?
- What are some things you are looking forward to when Jesus makes all things new?