Today’s passage: Proverbs 21
- No matter who is in “power”, God is in control.
- No king, no president, no human being could ever hold enough power to tell God what to do.
- God has the power and ability to change the heart of any human being.
- Even military might is no match for God’s sovereign will.
- It is joyful to do what is right and pleasing to God when our hearts are right. (Verse 15)
- Sometimes, we have to do what is right even if we don’t feel like it.
- Sometimes, our heart is in the right place and we will feel like doing what is right.
- A growing Christian will see their desires increasingly aligned with the desires of God, and therefore their joy in following Him increased as well.
- Quarrelsome is being prone to argue, to be contentious, combative.
- Verses 9 & 19 are often seen as sort of funny, but it’s actually a vicious cycle.
- The quarrelsome wife would be the first to say her husband should be a man and lead her spiritually, confronting her when necessary. Then when the husband seeks to lead her and confront her about being quarrelsome, she responds in a quarrelsome way.
Questions to consider:
- What makes verse 3 particularly important on this side of the cross? If we were to try to appease God with a sacrifice today, what would we be saying about the sufficiency of Christ’s sacrifice on the cross?
- How do verses 23 and 31 go together? What characteristics might the world (Or us) consider to be strengths that would pale in comparison to the wisdom of God? How many examples might we even find in this chapter?
- Which proverb stick out the most to you? How can you put it into practice today?
Father, forgive us for being fearful and anxious concerning the leaders of this land. We can rest in you because you are in complete control. May we walk in wisdom and righteousness because we know you are worthy, because we know it is right, and increasingly because we want to. Thank you for the joy we can have in this life following Jesus. And thank you for the eternal joy we will have with you when everything (Including us) is made perfectly right. While we wait for that day, please give us grace to see our need for growth and change and give us ears to hear when your word and others who love us reveal them to us.