Today’s passage: Psalm 50
- From verses 5-6: We are counted God’s righteous ones by sacrifice, the sacrifice of Jesus Christ! And we are declared righteous based on the righteousness of our sacrifice. God is judge! He says that’s the way it works, therefore, that’s the way it works! (2 Corinthians 5:21)
- God does not get richer when we give. Everything we have already belongs to Him.
- John 8:31 – “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples.”
- John 8:34 – “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who practices sin is a slave to sin.“
Questions to consider:
- If God already owns everything, then who is the one who truly benefits when we give? Who receives and increases in joy when I give with a cheerful, thankful heart?
- What are the “sacrifices” of our day that people have decided guarantee their salvation? For instance: Why is it a bad idea to automatically assume that someone who goes to church every Sunday is saved?
- Who do followers of Jesus follow? Who do lovers of God love?
- Why is God worthy of our obedience and thanksgiving? Where might you be able to grow in giving the Lord your whole heart with joy and thanksgiving?