Today’s passage: Revelation 1:1-3
- Revelation is a book of prophecy given to and through the Apostle John. John identifies himself as more of a recipient of the book, our Lord being the author.
- This book is considered “apocalyptic literature.” The word “apocalypse” means revelation.
- This letter was carried to churches and read aloud. The reader was (and is) blessed. Those who hear are blessed. Those who keep what is written are blessed. Be ready, Jesus is coming.
Questions to consider:
- What is being revealed in the book of Revelation according to this text? To whom are we to give our greatest attention?
- How does John articulate the authority behind this letter? Why should we believe it is true and that it certainly will happen? Whose credibility guarantees this outcome?
- What does it mean to keep God’s Word? What is the difference between hearing and keeping?