Today’s passage: 1 Samuel 23:15-29
- Jonathan confirms with no lack of clarity, he intends to support David as the king of Israel.
- He communicated this to David while “strengthening his hand in God.” Jonathan knew these things and believed them to be true and best because he was trusting in God. He found more joy and rest in following God than in dreaming about becoming the king.
- The Ziphites were Isrealites from the tribe of Judah (David’s tribe!).
- This betrayal was the occasion for the writing of Psalm 54.
- David was not interested in attacking Saul even though he had the high ground. He chose to evade (We will see why tomorrow).
Questions to consider:
- How were David and Jonathan able to have peace and joy in the midst of their difficult circumstances? Who did David entrust to help him persevere and to bring about justice?
- What happens to our understanding and treatment of God when we decide what justice and peace are going to look like (See Saul)?
- How has God already come to our aid and won our greatest battle on our behalf?