Today’s passage: 2 Samuel 9
- For a new king to bless the genealogical line of the previous king is rare. David’s kindness helped ensure Saul’s lineage would continue and even remain prominent in the kingdom.
- David’s decree also gave Ziba and his family their old jobs back. This was a great day for them as well!
- Mica’s (Or Micah’s) descendants are listed in 1 Chronicles 8:35-38, 9:41-44.
- Mephibosheth’s response to David in verse 8 is not much different than David’s response to God’s gracious act in 7:18.
Questions to consider:
- How would God’s promise to David in chapter 7 give him confidence to show this level of kindness to the descendants of Saul? What did David have to believe about God and His promises?
- How would this compare to a verse like 1 John 4:19? How should God’s love for us shown through the Gospel impact the way we think about and treat other people?
- How would Mephibosheth’s physical condition have contributed to his gratitude toward David? What do we see lame people doing in the rest of Scripture? How does a right view of where we stand before a holy God increase our thankfulness and love for Christ?