Today’s passage: Ecclesiastes 10:1-20
- Verse 1 sums up verse 17-18 of chapter 9
- Verses 2-7 teach that even though wisdom and foolishness are easy to behold/differentiate, fools will often still be elevated and the wise will often still be forgotten.
- Verses 8-11 are a unit. They teach the likelihood of being endangered whether you are working mischievously or honorably…but emphasize the greater prospects of working honorably and planning ahead.
- Verses 12-15 convey the uselessness of the fool’s counsel. They won’t stop talking and can’t even successfully give you directions into town.
- Verses 16-20 speak of the value of hard work and diligence both in governmental leadership and in personal practice.
- Verse 19 could be taken out of context in a bad way…money is not the answer to everything. But, you need money to pay for everything you buy.
Questions to consider:
- There is much to consider from this proverbial chapter…what thoughts stick out the most to you?
- How does this chapter summarize and apply much of the content from the book of Ecclesiastes?
- How would you apply these principles to your work, home, family, etc.?