Today’s passage: Ecclesiastes 9:11-18
- “Man does not know his time.” We can try to plan, and we can benefit from planning. But planning is not guaranteeing…it’s just planning.
- The wise man in the city was not heard until he was desperately needed. Then, he was forgotten as soon as the threat was gone. His wisdom now despised and his words unheard.
- This doesn’t mean wisdom is inferior, it just isn’t desired because of sin.
Questions to consider:
- Should we quit planning altogether since we do not have control over our ultimate ability to execute it? (James 4:13-17) What should we plan to do?
- Why do we have to call reading our Bibles a discipline? Why do we have to train ourselves to read it?
- How can we prove that living with wisdom is better than living as a foolish ruler under the sun? Why must our faith and delighting in Jesus be our motivation?