Today’s passage: Exodus 20
- After receiving the commitment of the people in chapter 19 to follow Him and do what He says, the Lord gives His people the Ten Commandments.
- God spoke in a way that all the people could hear. They saw the mountain, the smoke/darkness, the lightning. They heard the thunder and the voice of God. They felt the ground shake beneath their feet. They were filled with awe and fear.
- Once they experienced what it was like to be near to God or to hear from Him, they preferred to get God’s messaged delivered to them through Moses!
- Once the initial Ten Commandments were given, the Lord began to expound further with Moses. Verse 22 is the beginning of the rest of the Law.
Questions to consider:
- What are the Ten Commandments? Which ones relate to a person’s (And a people’s) relationship with God? Which ones relate to people’s relationships with each other?
- In what way do the Ten Commandments articulate the greatest commandments, to love the Lord your God and to love your neighbor as yourself?
- What does this list of commandments confirm we all need? (Romans 3:23-26) What has God lovingly and graciously done for us? How should His love compel us to pursue obedience going forward?