Today’s passage: Hebrews 2:14-18
- Satan and death have been defeated! They hold no power over those who are in Christ.
- God the Son became man in order to be offered as a substitute for our sin.
- Jesus endured temptation without sin.
- As our spotless/sinless lamb, He suffered and died, taking God’s wrath against our sin on Himself.
- God’s wrath has been completely satisfied (“Propitiation”).
- Jesus knows what it is like to be tempted from without. He is able to sympathize with us in this and come to our aid.
Questions to consider:
- Why was Jesus born? What did He come to do?
- How good is it to know that God’s completely just wrath against all our sin is entirely satisfied? How does this humble us? How does meditating on this truth stir our hearts in love for Him?
- How does the combination of Christ’s sacrificial love and His readiness to bring us aid in the midst of our temptation encourage you to fight against sin? How is Christ’s love a better motivator for righteousness than if we were just trying to earn ourselves a place in heaven?