Today’s passage: Joshua 1:10-18
- After God commissions Joshua and commands him to be strong and courageous, the leaders of the people of Israel affirm their intent to follow Joshua and ask him to be strong and courageous.
- Before the people ever cross the Jordan, Joshua reminds them Who is giving them the land.
- The Reubenites, Gadites and the half-tribe of Mannaseh were given land east of the Jordan, but they were commanded by Moses (Deuteronomy 3:1-22) to help the rest of Israel to take possession of the land west of the Jordan River.
Questions to consider:
- What was the condition given by the leaders of Israel for their willingness to follow Joshua (Vs. 17)?
- What should Joshua have been thinking about then concerning his own responsibility which God had given him earlier in verses 7-8?
- What should Joshua have been thinking about then concerning God’s promise to him from verse 9?